Thursday, February 11, 2010

Winter Fun

(click on any photo to enlarge) I haven't posted in a few months so I though I'd better update family and friends on whats up with the Eastys. The winter weather is in full swing in the Sierra. We received early snow in December and have had a succession of storms that has kept snow in the mountains and cold temperatures in Reno. Christi just had a wisdom tooth extracted but in typical tough girl fashion, she's back to working out in less than a week. The girl is just amazing. Her P90X workouts are making her ripped and strong. (She has bigger guns than I do!!) RB is the only one in the family that has gotten out of shape this winter. Her thing is long runs and hikes and unfortunately the snow and mud at her local trails keeps her from doing the stuff she loves. But Spring is just around the corner and she'll be doing 3 hr runs with Christi or 5 hr hikes with me soon. I have been doing the same thing I do most winters - Skiing and teaching skiing. The weekly Rossignol Clinics I am involved in have become very popular in the Tahoe Basin. We have had up to 40 people at our clinics! It has been fun. I'm finally starting to gain some fitness after a short, forced layoff in December (from a strange injury in a Cross race). Its a bitch getting old! I just don't recover as quickly as I used to. Yesterday I skied for 3 hrs and 35km and feel pretty good today, so I'm finally coming around. Both Christi and I have stuck to our New Years Resolutions - No Sugar for Christi and No Alcohol for me. Aside from a glass of wine at dinner with some friends a while back, I've been pretty consistent. Christi, in her typical determined way, hasn't had any sugar at all. Consequently both of us are at summer body weights which is nice in February. But with that said we are nowhere near our friends Kalli and Bill in SoCal. Their diet is amazing! Check out Kalli's Blog to get an idea of how good they are about their eating habits. http://fitandfortysomething.com/
I have also been going to Computrainer classes twice a week. Basically you put your bike in a stand that is connected to a computer and you race against 7 other riders that have their bikes attached in the same way. They're hard! There is no coasting downhill, no cruising to the coffee shop and no conversation, that's for sure. But they make you strong. Every year after skiing is finished, I have all this cardiovascular fitness but I feel like I pedal squares for the month of April until I remember how to pedal properly. Hopefully these classes will help my legs how to remember to pedal when I get back on the bike after Mammoth Marathon. Thats really about it. I will post for March as I plan on racing a couple of times during the month. We'll see how the fitness is! Until then- Don't take life for granted. Everyday is precious. Live life like your ass is on fire. Cheers

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love this! I am sure you guys are super fit.....Please come do some summer training down here soon!