Thursday, August 5, 2010

Summer Trip - Day 5 - Crabtree Meadows to Bubbs Creek

(click on any photo to enlarge) Above is my typical morning view before packing up. Having coffee and enjoying the scenery from the tarptent window. We had a great night of sleep and were on trail by our usual 7am. It was tough to leave our beautiful meadow but Forester Pass awaited.Yesterday was a big day so our bodies were a little slow to warm up. But, as usual, after about an hour we were cruising along, feeling good. Today we go through the Bighorn Plateau. This is a surreal area between Wright Creek and Tyndall Creek. My photos can't convey the expansive view and the feeling of space. The miles ticked by easily for me today. I am starting to feel like a hiker again. Less aches and pains, faster turnover and greater efficiency. We were at Tyndall Creek after 9 miles of hiking well before lunch. We stopped at the creek for snack and fresh water. After about an hour the Funks arrived. Christi and I were ready to tackle the Pass so we left the Funks to enjoy the creek by themselves. The approach to the Pass is typical high country trail. Most of the approach is above treeline with grand views and lots of granite. As usual Christi was on fire up the Pass. We she gets in this mode, I just let her go and hope she will wait for me at the top. After a couple of hours chasing Christi's dust I reached the Pass, where luckily she was waiting for me. We stopped for the obligatory photos and a few snacks and had a great conversation with a gentleman from Chicago that was doing the JMT from Yosemite to Mt. Whitney. I also managed to get a few shots of Polemonium on the Pass. These flowers grow only a high altitudes and are the mountaineers flower of choice. We were about a week late for the perfect bloom photos but they were still spectacular. Our hike down the North side of Forester was fun and easy. We ambled through hanging meadows with clear mountain water running through. I wish my camera could capture the true beauty of the scene. As we descended the trees started to make their way along the headwaters of Bubbs Creek. We decided to stop for the night just below treeline on a little bluff over looking the Creek and the entire valley below. I set up camp so Christi could go clean up first. After an hour or so of camp chores it was my turn to clean up. A cold stream never felt so good! It was great to just submerge myself in the cool water. I ended up 'cleaning up' (soaking) till dusk. At about 6pm the Funks strolled into camp. They were both in need of a soak and headed straight for the Creek. Christi and I started dinner and finished our chores in preparation for tomorrow. Tomorrow is our last day already. As usual I am bummed that we can't stay out here for a month, but work and other commitments mean we all have to return to civilization tomorrow. Today was a great hiking day and the scenery was magnificent. Christi and I were out before the Funks finished cleaning up their dinner. What a day.

No comments: